Saturday, August 29, 2009

Blueberry Muffin Cakes

Blueberry Muffin Cakes

I've been wanting to make blueberry muffins for awhile now. Yesterday, I finally went to the grocery store and bought blueberries! And even though it's really warm today I decided to turn on the oven and bake these.
These blueberry muffins are more cake-like than muffin-like. They didn't puff over like muffins usually do, but just rose slightly in the middle. Apparently, since they more cake than muffin they can sit for a day or so and still be moist. I found the recipe on One Perfect Bite . I've already eaten three muffins...I think that's a good judgement of how tasty they are.

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp salt (I used about 1/4 tsp)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
3/4 cups milk
2 cups fresh blueberries, or
frozen blueberries, thawed
powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tin(s) with non-stick cooking spray (original recipe says 2 six-muffin tins. I used a 12-muffin tin and the recipe made almost 24 muffins. I think my muffin tin is smaller than normal, but not mini muffins.)
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. Combine butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest in a bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes.
  4. Turn speed to low. Alternately, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) and milk (in thirds) starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
  5. Using a spatula fold in blueberries until just combined.
  6. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full (I filled my first batch 2/3 full and the second batch almost to the top, which made bigger muffins, but didn't overflow).
  7. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean (mine were done in a little less than 25 minutes. Start checking a little early.)
  8. Yield: Original recipe: 12 large muffins. I got 22 small muffins.

1 comment:

  1. that looks DELICIOUS. and i like the picture, very artsy :)

    ReplyDelete