Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lemon Bars

Stack of Lemon Bars

I hadn't baked anything awhile and I wanted something quick and easy to make. These lemon bars were just that. I made the crust and while it was baking I made the filling by hand, with just a whisk. It goes back into the oven for a little bit and then they need to cool. I found that they tasted a lot better after they had cooled for awhile in the fridge rather than room temperature/from the oven. These didn't come out super lemon-y, but pretty tasty nonetheless.

Here's the recipe...my changes were more lemon juice and I let them cool in the fridge before cutting and dusting with powdered sugar.

Lemon Bars
from the Taste of Home Baking Book

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbs flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbs lemon juice (I think I used closer to 3 tbs)
1 tsp grated lemon peel
Confectioners' sugar to garnish
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar. Pat into an ungreased 8-in square baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
  2. For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice and peel; beat until frothy. Pour over the crust. Bake 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment