Monday, September 27, 2010

Just About Perfect!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I think everyone has their favorite type of chocolate chip cookie - thick and chewy, thin and crispy and everything in between. I've been searching for my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe - super thin, crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle. I had made cookies that fit this description before, but I couldn't find the recipe I used. So my previous post about chocolate chip cookies was not the right recipe so I continued to search. This recipe looked like it could be it...and IT WAS! I had to tweak it slightly because the first few sheets I baked came out very thin and inedible. So I added a little bit of flour and put the dough in the fridge to harden a bit. I also added a few more chocolate chips because it made a giant batch of cookies and I didn't think there was enough in the original recipe.

Next time I use this recipe I think I will either reduce the butter (there is A LOT) or add some flour to the dough. Hopefully, this will result in the perfect chocolate chip cookie. The original recipe comes from Martha Stewart's daughter Alexis. Here's the recipe I would use next time:

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside. 
  2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or handheld mixer) use the paddle attachment to beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. 
  3. Add both sugars, and beat until combined and fluffy. 
  4. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add vanilla and mix until well blended.
  5. Slowly add flour mixture, and beat on low speed until combined. 
  6. Add the chocolate chips, and mixuntil combined.
  7. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter at a time onto baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. These cookies spread A LOT (I only put 6 cookies per sheet).
  8. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes, rotating halfway through. Remove the cookies and the parchment paper from the baking sheets, and let cool on a rack.
* If the first cookie sheet of cookies spreads to much mix in a few tablespoons of flour into the remaining dough. Adjust as necessary. I think that the butter temperature as well as outside temp changes the outcome of the cookies drastically. I think its necessary to adapt as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment