Thursday, September 16, 2010

Quick and Easy Cookies - Snickerdoodles


Cookies!

Snickerdoodles are a quick and easy cookie. I used to make them when I was little. It was always fun to roll the little balls of dough around in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. This recipe is from a cookie recipe book called Cookies Galore. The cookies came out pretty tasty, but I think I prefer mine a little flatter and thinner (I think this is my preference in general for cookies...). I used a tablespoon to measure out the cookies and I think I needed more sugar and cinnamon for the coating.

Snickerdoodles
from Cookies Galore by Jacqueline Bellefontaine

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 scant cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
Coating:
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Sift the flour, cream of tarta, and baking soda together and blend into butter mixture to form a soft dough.
  3. Break off pieces of the dough about the size of a small walnut and roll into balls. Mix the 1 tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon together and roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar. Arrange on baking sheets, allowing room for the cookies to spread.
  4. Baking until pale golden, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

1 comment: