Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weekend Cooking Part 1: Tacos

Over the weekend, I made steak tacos and clam chowder for Ryan and myself. Both recipes came out well, and I would make them again. 

First, the tacos were based on a recipe from Tyler Florence. I used his recipe for mojo as a base and tweaked it a little bit to my preferences and what I had on hand. I wish I had skirt steak instead of flank, but I was happy with the final product. Next time, I will add more chipotles because, while the marinade had good flavor I want it to have a little more of a kick.


Ryan's Plate of Tacos with Side of Mexican Rice


Mojo Steak Tacos
adapted from Tyler Florence

Ingredients:
1 - 1 1/2 lb skirt or flank steak
Marinade:
5 garlic cloves
1 chipotle in adobo plus some adobo sauce
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 limes, juiced
1 orange, juiced
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
For Tacos:
Corn or flour tortillas
Guacamole
Tomatoes
Salsa
Shredded lettuce
Sour cream
Cheese

Directions:
  1. Put all the ingredients for the marinade into a food processor and pulse together until it forms a paste.
  2. Place the steak into a resealable bag and pour in the marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
  3. Take the steak out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking.
  4. Cook on a grill or cast iron pan to desired doneness.
  5. Serve on tortillas with any toppings you like. I think that guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream make the perfect taco!

No comments:

Post a Comment